Makes four servings
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups stemmed and finely chopped kale
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, lightly packed
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup halved red seedless grapes, or 3 tbs. raisins
- Place the quinoa in a bowl of cool water, and whisk for a few minutes (this will release the soapy, bitter-tasting resin that coats the quinoa kernels), then drain it through a fine-mesh sieve.
- In a small saucepan, bring 11/2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa and cover. Decrease the heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the quinoa is just tender. Remove from the heat and allow the quinoa to rest for 10 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the lemon juice, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and olive oil in a large bowl. Add the kale and give it a quick massage with your hands. Add the quinoa, mint, parsley, lemon zest, and grapes, and toss lightly to combine. Serve at room temperature.
Per Serving: Calories: 281; Total Fat: 16 g (2 g saturated, 11 g monounsaturated); Carbohydrates: 32 g; Protein: 6 g; Fiber: 4 g; Sodium: 325 mg
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.