Makes: four to six servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 1 head curly or lacinato kale
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup crispy pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sea salt and pepper
- Tear off the kale leaves and discard the stems. Chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces, and toss in a bowl with the olive oil.
- Massage the kale for five minutes; the greens will wilt a bit and turn a darker green.
- Adjust the acidity with a squeeze of lemon. Add the other ingredients, and you’re all set. No additional dressing is required.
- This salad will stay fresh in the fridge for a few days, and it will get easier to digest the longer it marinates.
Photographs copyright © 2014 by Mary G. Brackett.
Recipes adapted from Hilary Boynton and Mary G. Brackett’s The Heal Your Gut Cookbook and printed with permission from Chelsea Green Publishing.