To stretch the muscles and tendons in your feet and lower legs, try these moves:
- Toe Pull. Sit in a chair with your right ankle on your left thigh. Pull your right toes toward your right ankle. Hold for 15 seconds, and repeat on your other foot. Complete 15 reps per foot.
- Tennis Ball Roll. While seated, roll a tennis ball back and forth under your arch for 60 seconds per foot.
- Toe Spread. While seated, spread your toes apart. For an added challenge, wrap a rubber band around your toes. Hold for three seconds, rest for three seconds, and repeat 15 times per foot.
- Towel Pull. While seated with your feet positioned under your knees, toss a hand towel about 18 inches in front of you. Straighten your right leg and ankle to grab the towel and pull it back toward your body. Repeat 15 times. Switch sides and perform 15 reps using your left leg.
- Letter Draw. Drawing capital letters, spell the alphabet with your right foot by bending and flexing your ankle. Repeat with your left foot.
- Good Morning Toes. While lying in bed, flex your feet and stretch as though you’re pulling your toes toward your nose. Hold for 15 seconds. Complete 15 repetitions first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
This was excerpted from “Fitness Fix: Tight, Sore Feet” which was published in the April 2016 issue of Experience Life magazine.