Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, if desired, minced
- 1 large ham hock, about 1 pound
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 25 collard green leaves, stems removed, leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat, and cook the onions, garlic, and jalapeños with the ham hock, turning the ham to sear on all sides.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, vinegar, water, and collard greens.
- Cover the pressure cooker and bring to high pressure. Turn the heat down and cook for 10 minutes.
- Use the quick-release method: Run cold water over the lid of the pressure cooker, and uncover.
- Remove the greens from the liquid with a slotted spoon. Use a couple of forks to shred the meat off the ham hock and add to the greens. If the meat doesn’t come off the bone easily, cook at high pressure for another five to 10 minutes.