Makes: four servings
Hands-on preparation time: 15 minutes
Total preparation time: 20 minutes
- 2 bunches collard greens, stems removed, leaves cut into 2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 tbs. ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Soak the cut collard greens in water to wash; dry in a salad spinner to remove excess moisture.
- Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a large Dutch oven or sauté pan with a lid. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop in the covered pan.
- Add the minced gingerroot, jalapeño, and turmeric, and sauté for five minutes, until aromatic. Add the tomato and salt, and cook a few minutes longer to make a sauce. Add the collard greens and cover the pan for a minute or two to wilt the greens.
- Stir well to coat the greens, and then continue to simmer uncovered until the greens are tender, about five to seven minutes.