Makes 1 pint | Hands-on preparation time 30 minutes | Total preparation time three days, but store for one to four months for better flavor
- 2 cups grated carrots, tightly packed
- 1 tbs. freshly grated gingerroot
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbs. whey (if not available use an additional 1 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 1 pint-sized canning jar, with lid
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together and press with the rounded bottom of a soup ladle.
- Transfer the carrot mixture into a jar, and press down firmly with the soup ladle until the juices cover the carrots. The top of the carrots should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.
- Cover the jar tightly and leave at room temperature for about three days and then transfer to the refrigerator. These can be enjoyed after being refrigerated for at least three days, but will improve with age.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling: Betsy Nelson