Makes | about 2 cups
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 tbs. minced shallots
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (cremini, portabella, oyster, or shiitake)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs. sherry or apple cider
- 4 tbs. heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, and sauté the onion and shallots until light brown. Turn heat to low, add the salt and pepper, and stir occasionally until the onion and shallots are caramelized.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they have softened and there is not a lot of moisture left in the skillet.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the sautéed mushroom mixture and reserve as a garnish.
- Add the walnuts, thyme, vinegar, sherry, and cream to the pan with the remaining mushrooms, and cook over low heat for about five minutes.
- Cool slightly, then blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Press the mushroom pâté into a dish for serving, and top with the reserved sautéed mushrooms.
- Chill before serving.