Serves | four
- 4 slices thick-cut, nitrate-free, organic or pasture-raised bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tbs. minced shallot
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs. sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head friseé lettuce, washed and chopped roughly
- 4 eggs, poached (see how to poach an egg here.)
- Cook the bacon pieces in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon, drain off half the fat, and add the minced shallot.
- Cook over low heat until shallot is soft. Drain off more bacon fat, if you like.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the mustard, vinegar and bacon, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the bacon dressing with the friseé and divide into four bowls.
- Place a poached egg on top of each bowl of greens.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson