Makes | 4 servings
- 1 tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 tbs. minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Crumbled goat cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion, celery and ginger, and sauté until vegetables are softened, about five minutes.
- Add carrot, cauliflower and cashews, and sprinkle with a little salt to “sweat” the vegetables. Cover and cook, stirring every few minutes, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender.
- Purée the soup with an immersion or regular blender. (If you’re using a regular blender, fill it only one-third or halfway, and cover lid with a kitchen towel to prevent the soup from bursting out.)
- Season with salt, pepper and cardamom. Sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles and toasted pumpkin seeds before serving.