Get the latest content and program updates via The Insider from Life Time.
- 5 green cardamom pods, lightly cracked
- 2-inch piece of cinnamon, broken
- 5 whole cloves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 or 3 slices of fresh ginger, about 1 1/2 inches in length, skin removed
- 16 oz. water
- 3 1/2 tsp. Assam tea (options: Irish breakfast tea or another quality black-tea “breakfast blend”)
- 2 tbs. agave nectar or preferred sweetener (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
Place the cardamom pods, cinnamon, cloves, and peppercorns in a dry skillet over medium heat, and lightly toast until fragrant, about three minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place toasted spices, ginger, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Cover and allow to rest for eight minutes.
Return to heat and bring just to a simmer, then remove from heat. Add tea, sweetener (if desired), and milk; stir once and allow to sit, uncovered, for three and a half minutes.
Stir once more and strain tea into mugs or small pitcher. Serve.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Stylist: Betsy Nelson