Makes three cups
Total preparation time: 12 hours (mostly soaking time)
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- Dash of sea salt
- 4 cups filtered room-temperature water for soaking
- 4 cups chilled filtered water for blending
- 6 to 8 pitted dates (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Soak the almonds for 8 to 12 hours in the room-temperature water with a dash of sea salt.
- After soaking, drain and rinse the almonds in a colander and squeeze them out of their newly shriveled skins. Put the skinned almonds, 4 cups chilled water, and dates, if using, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the almond milk through a fine sieve or a nut-milk bag (a muslin bag used to strain out the ground nuts).
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to three days.