Yields 10 servings | Serving glass Stemmed glass or lowball
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup loose hibiscus tea or dried hibiscus flowers
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups 100 percent pomegranate juice
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 green apple, cored and diced
- 1 red apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup red or green grapes, cut in half
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free bitters (see recipe below)
- Crushed ice
- 4 cups carbonated water
- Boil the water, and steep the hibiscus flowers and honey for 10 minutes. Strain and chill the tea.
- Mix the chilled tea, juice, fruits, and bitters together in a large pitcher, and allow the flavors to blend for at least an hour before serving.
- Pour sangria into glasses with crushed ice, leaving room to top off with the carbonated water.
(Alcohol options: Wine and brandy)
Yields 1 cup | Prep Time 5 minutes | Cook Time 30 minutes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 5 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- Zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tsp. dried dandelion root or dandelion-root tea
- 1 tbs. dried cherries or raisins
Bitters are traditionally made by infusing bitter herbs and other ingredients in alcohol, but you can make your own natural, nonalcoholic bitters in a pinch.
- Pour boiling water over the ingredients and infuse for about 30 minutes.
- Strain, and chill before using.
- Store in the refrigerator. Use within one week.