Makes | 4 servings
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 8 radishes, trimmed
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh dill
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 salmon fillets, skin on
- 2 tbs. ghee (clarified butter)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For the Slaw
- Slice the asparagus, radishes, carrot and fennel thinly by hand, with a mandoline, or with a fine-slicer blade in a food processor.
- Toss with chopped dill, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill the slaw while you prepare the salmon.
For the Salmon
- Toss the sesame seeds in a shallow bowl with the cayenne pepper (if you are using it). Season the salmon with salt and pepper, and press the side without skin into the sesame seeds to coat.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy ovenproof skillet over high heat and add the salmon, sesame-seed-side down.
- Sear the salmon until the sesame seeds are browned, about one to two minutes. Turn heat down to medium, flip the salmon fillets over, and sear the skin side for one to two minutes.
- Transfer the salmon to the oven to finish, about five to 10 minutes depending on how you like it.
- Serve with the asparagus slaw.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson