Makes six burgers
Preparation time: 30 to 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets, skin and bones removed, cut into approximately 1-inch cubes (or substitute 16 oz. canned salmon)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
- 6 whole-grain or gluten-free buns, buttered and toasted
- 3 cups baby kale or spinach
- 6 tomato slices
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs. mayonnaise
- 2 tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon or Italian parsley
- Place a quarter of the salmon in a food processor and blend into a paste. Pulse in the remaining fish, jalapeños, green onions, quinoa flakes, paprika, salt, and pepper until the fish is cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Shape the mixture into six patties.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties for three to four minutes on each side until heated through.
- Top each bun bottom with greens, a tomato slice, some onions, and a salmon patty.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and herbs together and serve as shown.