Have you ever wondered about the best way to stop eating sugar? Is it better to wean off sugar or go cold turkey?
These are important questions, considering estimates suggest that the average American now consumes the same amount of sugar each month (about 11 cups) that our ancestors consumed in a time span of more than a year. If you were to measure that out for a visual, it quickly becomes clear why sugar consumption is a major health concern.
It’s also part of why we created the 10-day Sugar Fix, Life Time’s app-based nutrition program designed specifically for those who need a manageable, step-by-step plan to reset and kick added sugar from their routine any time it’s gained the upper hand.
The Trouble With Excess Sugar Intake
Most of us know that the biggest sugar culprits are soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages, desserts including ice cream, and baked goods such as pastries. But even if you limit those from your regular routine, you might not be out of the woods.
As a coaching team, we’ve seen a lot of health-conscious people shocked to learn that their intake was much higher than they once thought.
Protein bars, energy bites, date-based snacks, store-bought kombucha, nut butters, trail mix, workout endurance supplements, flavored yogurt, oatmeal packets, “original” versions of dairy-free milks, and other common foods with health halos can be wildly high in sugar or sweetened with added sugar. And although considered natural, sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup, and agave syrup are all still considered added sugar when it comes to our metabolic health and resulting symptoms.
It’s not surprising to most that sugar intake is a culprit in many cases of diabetes. What is surprising is that it’s estimated that one in three U.S. adults has underlying blood-sugar issues, whether they know it or not. Added sugar is also tied to several other issues, including:
|Inflammation and pain||Cholesterol and vascular issues||Mood disorders||Gout||Acne||Fatty liver||Energy level swings|
|Excess body fat||High blood pressure||Faster aging||Erectile dysfunction||Certain cancers||Poor sleep||Cravings|
How the 10-Day Sugar Fix Can Help
The program is designed to help you succeed at getting sugar out of your routine and feeling your best. It’s found in the Life Time Digital app, can be started at any time, and is complimentary for members.
After you sign up, you gain access to the program guide, support from a coaching team, and motivational and educational videos from Coach Lo — a certified personal trainer and nutrition coach — who leads this program. (Coach Lo also leads Life Time’s Fit + Focused program and is one of the coaches in the 5/40 Fit program.)
Here’s what to expect:
1. It’s realistic.
The 10-day timeline was mindfully selected by our coaching team so that it provides enough runway for you to see results, but also is achievable in the busiest of schedules. It’s the perfect amount of time to help reset your nutrition and see how your body responds without any feelings of overwhelm or deprivation.
2. It shows you exactly what to look for on food packages.
As the saying goes, “When you know better, you do better.”
Added sugar is incredibly sneaky (it can go by more than 60 different names!) and infiltrates our food supply in ways that aren’t always obvious. The program highlights the specific ingredients and words to look for on a nutrition label and packaging so that you don’t get fooled and know exactly how to spot added sugar in the first place.
Plus, it lists out which sugar-free sweeteners are OK to use for health and which ones are best to limit.
3. It’s simple and doable.
None of us enjoy being told what not to do and what not to eat. To help secure your success, the program includes:
- An added-sugar-free grocery list
- Steps to set up your surroundings to make giving up sugar easier
- List of swaps to find healthier alternatives to your favorite latte, condiments, and more
- Five daily to-do’s to help minimize cravings and help you feel your best along with a habit tracker to keep you on course
- A coach-approved, 15-minute protocol to follow if a craving does hit
- More than 30 delicious no-sugar recipes, including entrees, sides, snacks, and shakes. Some favorites include Pizza Meatballs and Lemon Poppy Seed Bites.
4. It has an “after” plan.
While it’s not realistic to transform your entire nutrition approach in a short time frame, it is fully possible to kick-start your results, reset your taste buds, and learn more about what works for your body and what doesn’t.
You’ll receive the steps to take after the 10 days are up, whether you’re looking for more challenge or are looking for a transition plan back to a healthier version of your current nutrition routine.
5. It works.
When your mindset is right and ready to commit to the plan, the program can be transformative. More than 8,000 Life Time members have done it to date.
One of those members was Sharee, who used the program when her sweet tooth was out of control and she found herself consuming sugar when feeling emotional. Read Sharee’s story here: “Kicking the Sugar Habit: How One Life Time Member Stopped Cravings and Found Success.”
Another was a Life Time family who, after many years of having sugar be a staple in their lives, decided to do Sugar Fix together. Read their story here: “Kicking the Sugar Habit — Together.”
Here’s what some other members who went through the program had to say:
- “The program made me stop and think. We are often set on automatic pilot and sometimes don’t realize that we’re reaching for dessert. And reading labels — that was a big eye opener for me.” — Cheryl
- “I feel great. I sleep much better, have more energy in the morning, and am not as bloated as I used to be.” — Victoria
- “Thank you for your support. I learned so much from the pointers, hints, and worksheets. I thought I would do this for 10 days and it would be over, then realized it’s a lifelong change for me. I feel better and have more energy. I love my new way of thinking.” — Ellie
- “I’m excited to report that I’ve dropped a couple pounds and my tummy isn’t sticking out so much. I noticed that during my menstrual cycle, my cravings were down, I had no lower back aches, and no cramping.” — Lynn
How to Get Started
The program is digital and delivered through the Life Time Digital app. If you’re a Life Time member, open the Life Time Digital app and click “Weight Loss and Training.” Select “Explore Programs,” and you’ll be able to choose the 10-day Sugar Fix program to enroll in.