Serves | 4
- 5 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 2 eggs, separated
- Pinch of sea salt
- Zest of one orange, or dash of Grand Marnier
- Place chocolate in a bowl. Gently heat the heavy cream until just about to simmer, and pour over the chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the egg yolks, one at a time, until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites separately with salt until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, and then add the remaining egg whites, folding gently so the eggs do not deflate.
- Flavor with the orange zest or Grand Marnier.
- Pour into individual serving dishes. Chill for four to six hours or overnight.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream before serving if desired.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson