Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate (85 percent cacao content), broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup raw cacao nibs
- Heat the milk just until it begins to boil and turn off the heat. Place a small bowl over the warmed milk and use it as a double boiler to melt the chocolate, stirring gently but constantly as it melts.
- In a separate bowl, beat the honey and the egg yolks together until they are light yellow and creamy. Slowly stir in the warm milk, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and cayenne.
- Chill the mixture for at least six hours, and freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. When the ice cream is almost set, fold in the cacao nibs.
- Transfer the gelato to a container and freeze for about an hour before serving.