Makes 1 1/2 cups
Preparation time 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 3 tbs. honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently warm the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat until it melts. Toss the blanched almonds with 1 tablespoon of the melted oil.
- Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for eight to 10 minutes until golden brown, stirring at least once to ensure even toasting.
- Keep a close eye on the almonds as they toast to make sure they don’t burn. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Place the toasted almonds and the salt in a food processor and grind the nuts into a fine paste, about three to five minutes.
- Add the honey, remaining oil, and cinnamon. Continue processing until the butter becomes smooth. You can also add more coconut oil for a thinner consistency; experiment with adding 1 tablespoon at a time, up to 5 additional tablespoons.
- Transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to two months. Remove from the refrigerator 10 to 15 minutes before use for easier spreading.