Makes about 1/4–1/3 cup | Prep time 10 minutes
- 1 tbs. acid (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, balsamic vinegar, champagne vinegar, rice vinegar, apple-cider vinegar, white-wine vinegar, or red-wine vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbs. oil (extra-virgin olive oil, toasted or untoasted sesame oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, walnut oil)
Mix-Ins (optional; pick one or more from the list below)
- 2 tbs. minced fresh herbs or 2 tsp. dried herbs (parsley, cilantro, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, chervil, dill, basil, mint)
- 2 tbs. something creamy (mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, crème fraîche, mashed avocado, coconut cream)
- 2 tsp. something flavorful (horseradish, tahini, mustard, sriracha, chili garlic paste, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce)
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced aromatics (garlic, shallot, ginger, chili pepper, scallions)
- 1/2 tsp. citrus zest (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit)
- 1/2 tsp. sweetener (honey, maple syrup, agave, granulated sugar)
- In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients except the oil.
- Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.