Perhaps the most versatile of essential oils, lavender is an effective treatment for many minor injuries and ailments. It can also help you relax, which can ease insomnia, anxiety, and other emotional issues.
Lavender oil has a pleasant, calming scent, as well as antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, making it an ideal addition to DIY lotions, deodorants, and household cleaners.
When you’re buying lavender, look for pure, certified-organic essential oil, and dilute it with a carrier (such as coconut or sweet-almond oil) if you plan to apply more than a drop or two directly on your skin.
Lavender, Six Ways
- Ease razor burn: Add 12 drops lavender to 1 oz. water; spritz on affected area.
- Fend off illness: Add 3 drops each lavender, thyme, and tea-tree oil to 4 oz. water and diffuse.
- Strengthen fingernails: Mix 12 drops lavender with 1/2 tsp. vitamin E oil and apply to nails as a balm.
- Ease anxiety: Apply 1 drop lavender to the sole of each foot.
- Soothe bug bites: Combine 12 drops lavender with 12 drops peppermint essential oil. Shake well and dab on bites.
- Treat cuts and scrapes: Add 6 drops lavender to 1 pint cold water; soak a compress in the mixture and apply.
All methods and combinations courtesy of Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A–Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing.