- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbs. mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 8 snow peas, sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast or 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbs. potato starch or cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 2 scallions, finely chopped, or 1/2 cup chopped watercress
Bring the broth to a simmer with the mirin and ginger.
Add the carrot, snow peas, cabbage, and chicken or mushrooms, and simmer until vegetables are just cooked.
If using the potato starch or cornstarch, mix it with 1/4 cup cold water and stir into the simmering soup. Simmer until slightly thickened.
Add the tamari and sesame oil and then stir in the eggs. The egg will cook into thin “ribbons.”
Cook for one to two minutes more and then serve topped with chopped scallions or watercress.
For more wholesome and comforting soup recipes, see “5 Cozy Fall Soup Recipes“.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling: Betsy Nelson