Serves | four
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbs. mirin rice wine
- 1 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 8 snow peas, sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast or 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbs. potato starch or corn starch (optional)
- 1 tbs. low-sodium soy sauce or Bragg’s amino acids
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 2 scallions finely chopped, or 1/2 cup chopped watercress
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer with the mirin and ginger.
- Add the carrot, snow peas, cabbage, chicken or mushrooms and simmer until just cooked.
- Mix the potato starch with 1/4 cup cold water and stir into the simmering soup. Simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and then stir in the eggs. The egg will cook into thin “ribbons.”
- Cook for one to two minutes more and then serve topped with chopped scallions.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson