Makes four servings | Prep time 10 minutes | Cook time 10 minutes
- 1 lb. grassfed ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs. fresh thyme
- 1 tbs. ghee or highheat oil
- Place the beef, egg, mushrooms, Worcestershire, and thyme in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix the ingredients gently but thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions, then shape into 3/4-inch-thick patties. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each burger.
Grill: Preheat the grill on high heat. Oil the grate, place the burgers on it, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for three to four minutes per side, until a meat thermometer inserted into the center reads 160 degrees F.
Stovetop: Preheat a 12-inch cast-iron or stainless-steel pan over medium-high heat for one to two minutes until hot. Add ghee and tilt to coat the pan. Place the patties in the pan, leaving 1 to 2 inches of space between them. Cook for two minutes, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for two minutes more. Flip and cook an additional four minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted into the center reads 160 degrees F.
Use this template for these combos.
1 lb. base + 1/4 cup veggie + 1 tsp. salt or 1 tbs. salty condiment + 2 tsp. dried (or 2–3 tbs. fresh) herbs or spices + toppings
Taco: Ground beef + diced red onion + sea salt + cumin, chili powder, and fresh cilantro + salsa
California: Ground bison + shredded carrots and chopped spinach + Worcestershire sauce + fresh dill and parsley + avocado, sprouts, and tomato
Hawaiian: Ground turkey + sliced scallions + fish sauce + fresh ginger + grilled pineapple and sriracha mayo
Mediterranean: Ground chicken + diced sun-dried tomatoes + sea salt + dried basil and oregano + basil pesto or olive tapenade
For more creative burger recipes, see “The Better Burger“.