Serves | 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side salad
- 2 tbs. sherry vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps (stems removed)
- 6 cups spinach (5 ounces), washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios, lightly chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled bleu cheese
- Mix the sherry vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper together, then marinate the mushroom caps in this mixture for a half hour.
- Remove mushrooms from the marinade and then reserve the marinade.
- Heat a grill pan, or an electric or gas grill, and grill the mushroom caps for three to five minutes on each side. When they are beginning to soften, remove from the grill and slice into thin strips, about 1/4 inch.
- Toss the mushroom slices in the reserved marinade, then toss with the remaining salad ingredients, except the cheese.
- Top with crumbled bleu cheese.
For variety, try different greens, nuts and cheeses (such as romaine, pecans and shredded cheddar, or baby field greens, toasted sliced almonds and chèvre).