Makes six servings | Prep time 15 minutes | Cook time 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup French lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 lb. parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 tbs. avocado oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs. all-purpose or chickpea flour
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly oil a 9-x-13-inch baking dish.
- In a 2-quart pot, bring the vegetable stock and lentils to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender but not falling apart, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the lentils and reserve the stock. Measure the stock and add water, if needed, to make a 1/2 cup.
- While the lentils are cooking, place the parsnips in a second large pot and cover with water by an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the parsnips are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, then place the parsnips in a food processor. Purée until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the nondairy milk, 1 tablespoon avocado oil, and 1 teaspoon salt, and purée to mix.
- In a large skillet, warm the remaining avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to sizzle, about two minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, and add the mushrooms, carrots, and remaining salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are shrunken and browned and other veggies are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the thyme, sage, pepper, flour, and tomato paste. Stir until combined, then add the reserved stock from the lentils and bring to a low boil. Cook for about two minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Stir in the peas and cooked lentils, then scrape the mixture into the baking dish and smooth the top.
- Spread the parsnip purée over the lentil mixture. Sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake until lightly browned and bubbling, about 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.