Makes about 2 ½ cups
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 3 cups raw nuts or seeds (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, cashews, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pumpkinseeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, or sunflower seeds)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
Mix-Ins (optional; pick one or more from the list below)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbs. cocoa powder
- 2 tbs. honey
- 3–4 tbs. coconut oil (for a smoother nut butter)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread raw nuts or seeds on alarge rimmed sheet pan and bake until fragrant and toasted, about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Allow nuts to cool for a few minutes.
2. Add roasted nuts to a food processor and process until creamy, about 10 to 15 minutes, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. Do this in stages, three to four minutes at a time with breaks in between, so your food processor doesn’t overheat.
3. Add salt and any other mix-ins and process until combined. For a smoother, creamier result, add coconut oil and process once more.
4. Scoop nut or seed butter into a clean canning jar and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Bring to room temperature before serving.