Makes 2/3 cup
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup tightly packed chopped basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until well blended. For a thinner pesto, add 1 tablespoon water and briefly process again.
- Taste; you may want to add another squeeze of lemon juice or pinch of salt.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Tip: These sauces go well with veggies of all kinds, as well as grains, beans, and grilled or roasted meats and fish. They can also serve as a flavorful topper for soups.