Makes | four servings
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 21/2 cups)
- 2 zucchini, cut into chunks (about 21/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and sear the chicken thighs about three to five minutes on each side. Remove chicken from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Add the spices and vegetables to the pot, and cook until vegetables are beginning to get tender. Return the chicken thighs to the pot, add the chicken stock and cover. Simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transform the quinoa into a pilaf by stirring in the toasted pine nuts, mint and currants, then salt and pepper to taste. Serve chicken stew over warmed quinoa pilaf.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson