Makes 2 servings | Prep time 10 minutes | Cook time 5 minutes
- 1 large Haas avocado
- 2 tbs. ghee or fat of choice
- 2 large pastured eggs
- Kosher salt to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash a ripe avocado (you’ll keep part of the skin on during cooking). Cut the avocado in half and pop out the pit. Slice off the rounded outer edge of each half, leaving two center slices with a hole through each.
- Melt the ghee in a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Once the fat starts bubbling, place the two slices of avocado in the pan.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl and season with salt. Carefully pour one egg into the hole in the middle of each avocado slice. Sprinkle with paprika and black pepper.
- For runny yolks, increase heat to medium-high, and fry until the bottom of the egg sets. Use a spatula to flip the avocado slices over; cook for another minute. Serve warm.
- For firmer yolks, cover the skillet with a lid, reduce heat to low, and cook for three to five minutes, or until the whites are set.
Photography by: Henry Fong
This recipe has been excerpted from “Nom Nom Paleo” that originally appeared in the January/February 2016 issue of Experience Life.