Yields 6 servings | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time 45 minutes
- 2 tbs. organic ghee or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. black or brown mustard seeds
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 tbs. minced fresh gingerroot*
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric*
- 2 tsp. ground cumin*
- 1/2 tsp. plus pinch sea salt, divided
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, or a 14.5-oz. can, drained and juices reserved
- 8 cups vegetable broth (store-bought or homemade Magic Mineral Broth)
- 2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed well
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Heat the ghee in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds; sauté until they begin to pop. Immediately add the onion, ginger, turmeric, cumin, and a pinch of salt, and sauté for about three minutes. Add the tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and sauté for two minutes. Pour in 1/2 cup of broth and any reserved tomato juice to deglaze the pot, stirring to dislodge any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the lentils and stir; then add the remaining broth and cinnamon stick. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender. Stir in another 1/4 teaspoon of salt and simmer for five minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the spinach and lime juice. Serve garnished with cilantro or mint.
* Note: You can replace the ginger, turmeric, and cumin with 3 teaspoons of curry powder.