Get the latest content and program updates via The Insider from Life Time.
Make-Your-Own (Healthier) Deep-Dish Pizza
Enjoy a feel-good pizza night in less than 20 minutes with an at-home version of this featured favorite from the LifeCafe menu at Life Time River North at One Chicago.
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. to 1 tbs. crushed red pepper flakes, depending on spice preference
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning (or 1/2 tsp. each oregano and basil) or fresh basil and oregano
- 28 oz. canned tomatoes (choose a high-quality option, such as Bianco Dinapoli)
- Mushrooms, onions, or peppers (optional)
- 2 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1/2 sheet tray of focaccia bread, cut down the middle lengthwise
- Fresh burrata or mozzarella, amount based on preference
- Basil chiffonade (optional)
- Fresh-cracked black pepper (optional)
Make your sauce: Add the olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes to a sauté pan over medium-low heat. If you’re using dried herbs, add them at this time. Add the canned tomatoes. If you’re using the optional veggies, add them now. Simmer for five to 10 minutes; be careful not to cook for too long as you don’t want to evaporate too much of the liquid. Add the spinach to wilt near the very end of your cook time. If you’re using fresh herbs, add them near the end as well.
Turn on the broiler. Place the focaccia on a baking sheet. Evenly spread the sauce on top of each half of the focaccia. Add the burrata or mozzarella to cover the focaccia or to preference.
Place the pizza under the broiler, ideally on the middle rack. Cook for three to five minutes.
Finish with basil chiffonade or fresh-cracked black pepper, if desired.