Get the latest content and program updates via The Insider from Life Time.
For the soup base:
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, to garnish
For the meatballs:
- 1/2 lb. ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole-grain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat, then add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, and sauté until al dente.
Add the chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
While the stock is simmering, make the meatballs by mixing the ground chicken with the egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, and parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
Shape into small balls with a teaspoon or a small scoop and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through. Add to the simmering soup.
Add the broccoli rabe, parsley, and cannellini beans, and simmer five minutes to heat through.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese.
For more wholesome and comforting soup recipes, see “5 Cozy Fall Soup Recipes“.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson