Serves | 6 to 8
For the soup base:
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups parsley, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, to garnish
For the meatballs:
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole-grain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion, carrots, celery and garlic until al dente. Add chicken stock and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- While stock is simmering, make the meatballs by mixing the ground chicken with the egg, breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into small balls with a teaspoon or a small scoop and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Add to the simmering soup.
- Add the broccoli rabe, parsley and cannellini beans and simmer five minutes to heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese.