Makes | four servings
- 1 head cabbage, core removed
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted or broiled to char the skin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fill a medium stockpot with 1 to 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer. Put the head of cabbage, cored side down, in the water and cover. Simmer for eight to 10 minutes, until the leaves are softened and can be easily pulled off the head of cabbage. Remove from water and cool while you prepare the filling.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and cook ground beef with the onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms until the meat is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are softened. Add the quinoa, sage and thyme, then season with salt and pepper.
- When the cabbage is cool enough to handle, gently remove eight whole leaves, fill each one with 1/2 cup of quinoa mixture and roll burrito-style. Arrange cabbage rolls in a 9- by 9-inch baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes in a 350-degree F oven, or until cabbage rolls are heated through.
- Blend the roasted peppers with the sour cream and warm gently in a saucepan. Serve over the cabbage rolls.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson