Welcome to the summer of possible for you and your kids. As the sun starts to shine a little brighter this season, families have the opportunity to build more time for fun, play, learning, and growth into their summer schedules.
“After the past year we’ve had, I know I’m aiming to make this summer as memorable — in a good way — as possible for the kiddos we have with us,” says Victoria Sanders, kids curriculum expert and kids manager at Life Time. “For parents, the Kids Academy is more than a drop-off solution. Consider it a place that yes, covers your child-care needs while you enjoy the club, but also provides socialization, enrichment, and a lot of healthy fun for kids.”
Curious if the Kids Academy might be the spot for your kids this summer? Sanders gives us an inside look at what to expect.
What Is Kids Academy?
The Kids Academy provides educational and movement-focused activities for Life Time members’ kids from infancy through age 12 (age ranges may vary based on club location). These activities are designed to pique the interests of kids and give them the freedom to explore new ideas and gain hands-on experiences.
We provide a healthy and secure place for families to bring their children. We offer monthly kids events, kids classes, camps, birthday parties, and more. One offering in particular that families love to use — in the summertime, especially, but also year-round — is the up to 2.5 hours of drop in play while parents enjoy the club. (Note: Time allotment may vary on club location.)
This year we have a new addition: weekly themes and activities perfect for juniors 2–8 years old to participate in while they are checked into the Kids Academy for drop-in play (no reservation needed).
Everything You Need to Know About Kids Weekly Themes and Activities
Registration to participate in the weekly themed activities is not required — simply drop your child off in the Kids Academy drop-in play and know that activities are held throughout the day.
Drop-in play is built into your membership, and we encourage you to take advantage of it! Since parents must remain at the club while their child is checked into the Kids Academy, many enjoy taking advantage of this time to get in a workout or lounge by the pool.
Each week has a fun theme, such as Picnics, Dinosaurs, or Camping and Insects, and there are six different categories of activities kids can choose to engage in. These will ladder up to that theme: S.T.E.A.M., Gym Game, Tot Spot Game, Arts and Crafts, Story Time, and Song.
- T.E.A.M.: Children will engage in experimental learning and challenge their critical thinking skills through science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics activities. This class allows the opportunity for parallel play, group socialization, and a chance to develop independence.
- Gym Game: Open gym is designed specifically to let kids run around and burn off energy. Led by one of our experienced instructors, kids have the opportunity to choose what they want to do from our fitness-based activity options.
- Tot Spot Game: Our skilled team members keep your children engaged in a variety of fitness- and movement-based activities.
- Arts and Crafts: We provide the tools to fuel kids’ creativity and help unlock their imaginations through various art projects.
- Story Time: With toddlers in mind, this class provides the opportunity to listen and learn as our team members engage with puppets and read aloud to the group.
- Song: Also with toddlers in mind, this class promotes exploring music through movement, with our team members incorporating dance and instruments with music.
You can simply drop your child off in the Kids Academy and know that these activities are being held. Or, if you are looking for a specific activity, visit the Life Time Digital app, click “View All Classes” and filter by “Interest,” selecting “Kids,” or visit lifetime.life to learn more.
You can feel confident knowing Life Time has safety protocols in place to ensure social distancing, limited class sizes, and enhanced cleaning guidelines.
Sample of a Weekly Theme and Activity Lesson Plan
The exact schedule and activities vary based on your club location and that week’s theme, but this example gives you an idea of what a sample week of a weekly theme and activities designed to that lesson plan could like:
Weekly Theme: Sports
- T.E.A.M.: Build a Sports Stadium: Kids will use Legos or blocks to create a sports stadium, then use little action figures to play out a sports game.
- Story Time: Winners Never Quit: We’ll read the book Winners Never Quit, which explains the emotional side of playing sports, including how to deal with a loss and be a good teammate.
- Tot Spot Game: Toddler Tennis: Kids will use balloons, craft sticks, and other arts items to create tennis balls and racquets to then play a game with.
- Arts and Crafts: Paper Plate Sports Balls: Children will color a paper plate to resemble a sports ball.
- Song: Take Me Out to the Ball Game: We’ll play a version of the song “Take Me Out to the Ball Game,” giving kids a copy of the lyrics so they can sing along.
- Arts & Craft: Sports Textures: Each child will lay paper over a sports ball and rub a crayon across it to show the texture of the given ball; our instructors will encourage them to try out different balls and textures.
- Gym Game: Dribble Tip Over: We’ll set up basketballs and cones in gym, scattering the cones across the floor. Children will be divided into teams, taking turns trying to tip over as many cones as possible while dribbling a basketball.
How can I find out more or get my kid started?
To learn more about upcoming Kids Academy Weekly Themes, visit the Life Time Kids webpage; in the Life Time Digital App, click “View All Classes” and filter by “Interest,” selecting “Kids.”
The opportunities for your kids are endless and we look forward to seeing them at Life Time Kids Academy this summer. Let the fun begin!