Makes | 4 servings
- 1 bunch beet greens (about 6 cups)
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 oz. cooked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, diced (ideally nitrate- and nitrite-free sausage)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbs. red-wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Separate the leafy greens from their stems and cut the stems into 1/2-inch pieces. Coarsely chop the leafy greens.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the sausage for a few minutes to flavor the oil. Add the stem pieces and shallot, and sauté until almost tender, about five minutes.
- Add the red-wine vinegar and simmer for one to two minutes until absorbed by the stems and sausage.
- Add the leafy greens and cook just until wilted.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson