While game day always brings excitement — from the food spread to the halftime show to the lineup itself — some years the competition is fiercer than others. One sure fire way to up the thrill is to make your own game out of it.
We asked Dyante Jordan, GameFace Pro performance manager at Life Time, to suggest some ways we could score our own fitness points. As you’re watching the game, perform the movements he recommends each time one of these plays happens.
If this: First Down
Do this: 10 Reverse Lunge Knee Drives (five per leg)
- From standing, take a big step backward with one leg; keep your upper body aligned with your back straight.
- Keeping your upper body aligned and your back straight, lower your body so that your back leg forms a 90-degree angle; keep your heel lifted.
- From this low-lunge position, drive through your front leg to draw your back knee up and forward, coming into a standing position with your moving leg now bent in front of you at a 90-degree angle.
- Lower your leg to the ground and repeat for five reps total, then switch legs to perform five reps on that side.
If this: Sack
Do this: 10 Plank Dips
- Start in a plank position with forearms on the ground and your body straight from head to heels.
- With your core engaged, dip your left hip toward the ground, moving with control and keeping your forearms and toes planted as you twist your body
- Return to center, then lower your right hip toward the ground.
- Alternate from side to side for 10 reps total.
If this: Interception
Do this: 10 Split Jumps
- With your chest up, step one leg backward and then lower your body into a lunge.
- Driving through the front leg, jump with enough force to propel both your feet off the ground; while you’re in the air, quickly switch your legs so you land in a lunge with your opposite leg forward.
- Repeat for 10 reps total.
If this: Field Goal
Do this: 20 Spider Planks
- Start in a plank position with forearms on the ground and your body straight from head to heels, core engaged.
- Keeping your hips as level as possible, bend your right leg out to the side to draw your right knee as close as you can to your right elbow. Pause.
- Step back into the plank position.
- Repeat on the opposite side, alternating legs until you complete 10 total reps.
If this: Fumble
Do this: 10 Skater Lunges (five on each leg)
- Balancing on one leg, lower into a quarter squat and then explosively push off your starting foot to hop laterally about 3 to 4 feet.
- As you land softly on your opposite foot, sweep your arms across your body and immediately lower into a skater squat, your inside leg sweeping just behind your grounded leg.
- Repeat on the other side, hopping back and forth for 10 total reps.
If this: Touchdown
Do this: Five Plyo Push-ups
- Start at the top of a push-up position, hands directly under your shoulders.
- Lower your body to do a push-up, until your chest is almost touching the floor.
- As you push up, do so explosively, so your hands leave the ground.
- Land softly on your hands and repeat, completely five total reps.
- Make it easier: Perform with your hands elevated on a bench.