Makes: six to eight servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
- 3 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs. freshly grated gingerroot
- 1 tbs. maple syrup
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes to one hour. When tender, remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the skin with tongs.
- Place the peeled sweet potatoes in a large bowl and mix in the butter with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the ginger.
- Mix maple syrup and balsamic vinegar together in a small bowl. Scatter pomegranate seeds on top of the sweet-potato mash and drizzle with maple-balsamic sauce. Serve warm.