Serves four to six
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes or garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1/2–inch rounds
- 2 tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 tbs. molasses
- 1 tsp. tamari or shoyu
- 2 tbs. pure maple syrup
- 1 heaping tbs. white or yellow miso
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 6 tbs. filtered water
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- In a large bowl, toss the yams with 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Spread the yams on a parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 50 minutes, turning over with a fork after 25 minutes.
- Remove the yams from the oven and lower the heat to 375°F.
- Place the cinnamon stick at the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish, and add the yams in layers. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the molasses, tamari, maple syrup, miso, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, and the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Pour over the yams. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, thoroughly basting the sweet potatoes every 10 minutes.