Get the latest content and program updates via The Insider from Life Time.
- 3/4 cup millet or other grain
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted peanuts, crushed
Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbs. agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Pinch red-pepper flakes
Cook the millet according to package directions. When the millet is done, fluff it with a fork and set it aside to cool.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: Mix the peanut butter and tamari (or soy sauce) in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until the peanut butter is soft and easy to stir, about 30 seconds. Add the ginger, agave syrup, rice vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice, and red-pepper flakes. Whisk together to fully incorporate the flavors.
Add the purple cabbage, carrots, sugar snap peas, cilantro, and green onion to a large mixing bowl. Add the cooled millet and toss to combine. Pour the sauce over the millet-vegetable mixture and stir to thoroughly coat. Sprinkle the peanuts on top of the salad and chill until ready to serve.
This recipe originally appeared in the March 2020 issue of Experience Life, Life Time’s whole-life health and fitness magazine.
Photography by Allie Lehman