In January 2021, beauty and style expert Jennifer MacDougall promised herself that she wouldn’t miss a day of exercise for 30 days straight. The pandemic — and resulting health-club closures and reopenings — opened her eyes to how important it is to prioritize health. So, she committed to getting to her health club, Life Time Sky in New York City, every day.
Pretty soon, 30 days turned into a year. Daily movement is now part of MacDougall’s lifestyle and Life Time is her happy place.
We connected with her to learn more about her wellness commitments, and she shared six tips for anyone looking to increase motivation and start exercising consistently.
- Join group classes. One of the benefits of working out with a group is the accountability factor. “You do not have to think about anything, you just need to show up and do the work,” said MacDougall. “During workout classes, you will hear positive affirmations, powerful music, and feel the energy in the room.”
- Schedule your workouts. “I plan my week ahead so that the classes are already booked and all I need to do is show up. Half the battle is thinking about it,” said MacDougall.
- Make a 30-day goal. Plan on working out a certain number of days within a 30-day period to help make it happen.
- Engage on social media. Follow your favorite instructors on Instagram. “Your instructors will often post things that will keep you motivated,” said MacDougall. “Also, if you connect with others in the class on social media, it creates a community and then you’ll end up making friendships.”
- Invest in athletic clothing. “You will feel better when you’re looking in the mirror if you’re wearing an outfit that you feel good in,” said MacDougall.
- Choose nutritional foods. Finding foods that boost your energy and give you protein will help you reach your fitness goals and overall boost your health. “I enjoy the smoothies from the LifeCafe,” said MacDougall. “The vegan PB&B shake is my favorite — I have one almost every day!”
Editor’s note: Jennifer MacDougall is a paid influencer with Life Time. You can follow her health and fitness journey on Instagram and TikTok: @jennifermacdougall.