Makes 8 cups
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped diced (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery, about 6 stalks
- 6 carrots, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup hulled barley
- 6 cups turkey stock (homemade is best)
- 1½ cups pulled turkey meat
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale
- ½ cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot, sauté the onion for five minutes, and then add the carrots, celery and barley.
- Sauté while stirring for about five minutes and then add turkey stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let soup simmer until barley and vegetables are cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the turkey meat, kale and parsley and season the soup with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Make sure to taste the broth, especially if it has been made from a brined turkey, since it will be a bit saltier than stock made from an unbrined turkey.