Makes 8 cups
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped diced (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery, about 6 stalks
- 6 carrots, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup hulled barley
- 6 cups turkey stock (homemade is best)
- 1½ cups pulled turkey meat
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale
- ½ cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot, sauté the onion for five minutes, and then add the carrots, celery and barley.
Sauté while stirring for about five minutes and then add turkey stock and bring to a simmer.
Cover the pot and let soup simmer until barley and vegetables are cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Add the turkey meat, kale and parsley and season the soup with salt and pepper according to taste.
Make sure to taste the broth, especially if it has been made from a brined turkey, since it will be a bit saltier than stock made from an unbrined turkey.