Makes: three sandwiches
- 1 tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos or tamari
- 1/8 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 6 thin slices
- 1/3 cup sauerkraut
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
- 3 tbs. good-quality mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tbs. minced roasted red peppers
- 3 thin slices of whole-grain rye bread, toasted
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
- Preheat the broiler.
- Mix the Bragg Aminos, basil, balsamic, garlic, pepper and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium bowl. Marinate the tempeh slices for about five minutes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a nonstick skillet and sauté the tempeh over low heat, turning to crisp each side; set the tempeh aside.
- Warm the sauerkraut and the caraway seeds in the skillet.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mustard, mayonnaise, paprika and roasted red peppers.
- Arrange the slices of bread on a sheet tray, spread with mustard mixture, and top with tempeh and sauerkraut.
- Add a slice of cheese to the top of each sandwich, and place the sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese is melted.