Makes | about 3 cups
- 1/4 cup sherry or apple juice
- 1 tbs. red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped prunes
- 4 tbs. butter, divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound organic chicken livers
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Combine the sherry, vinegar, and prunes, and soak for at least an hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy skillet and add the onion, shallots, salt, and pepper. Sauté until caramelized and remove from the pan.
- Melt the remaining butter, and sauté the chicken livers until just cooked through. Cool.
- Blend in a food processor with the onion-shallot mixture and prunes until smooth.
- Add the eggs and blend again until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Spread the pâté into a large ramekin, and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh thyme.
- Cover and chill before serving.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson