Serves | 4 to 6
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds chuck roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion, sliced crosswise in ½-inch slices
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tbs. fennel seed
- 2 tbs. pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Wash roast, pat it dry, and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear the roast in the Dutch oven for about five minutes on each side. Remove the roast and set aside, keeping warm by tenting loosely with foil.
- In the same Dutch oven, sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms and fennel seed for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix pomegranate molasses with red wine and broth. Return the roast to the Dutch oven.
- Pour the broth mixture over the roast and simmer for five minutes. Then cover the pot and place in the oven.
- Roast for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, checking occasionally and turning the meat in the pan. When the roast is very tender, remove from the oven.
- Allow the meat to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with the broth and top with the pomegranate seeds.