Makes | 6 servings
- 1 cup dry pearl barley
- 2 cups sliced portabella mushrooms, gills removed
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup shredded, roasted grass-fed beef (or leftover steak)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbs. chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- Heat the barley in a medium saucepan over medium heat to lightly brown. Stir constantly, about four minutes. Add the mushrooms and vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer about 25 minutes until the barley is soft. Remove from heat and drain.
- Whisk dressing ingredients to emulsify. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup balsamic dressing. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Robin Krause