Makes: six to eight servings
Preparation time: 50 minutes
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 to 5 tbs. animal fat, coconut oil, or ghee
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery roots, peeled and cubed
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 to 2 pounds mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped finely
- Bring the stock to a boil in a soup pot, skim, and discard any scum.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of fat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the onions, celery, leeks, and fennel, and continue to simmer, covered, until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender, and add salt to taste.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp dish towel to remove any dirt. Remove the stems and slice.
- Put 2 tablespoons of fat in a frying pan, and add the mushrooms with a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 10 minutes, add the garlic, and continue to cook on low for another five to 10 minutes.
- Garnish the soup with the sautéed mushroom.
Photographs copyright © 2014 by Mary G. Brackett.
Recipes adapted from Hilary Boynton and Mary G. Brackett’s The Heal Your Gut Cookbook and printed with permission from Chelsea Green Publishing.