Makes | six servings
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds beets, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 quart beef, chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tbs. plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tsp. walnut oil or toasted hazelnut oil
- Chopped fresh dill or other herb for garnish, if desired
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, add the vegetables and salt, and sweat the vegetables until almost cooked through. (“Sweating” the vegetables simply means to sauté gently in a pan without browning.)
- Add the stock and simmer until vegetables are completely cooked. Add half of the orange zest and all the juice, as well as the pepper.
- Purée in a blender until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, a drizzle of walnut oil and reserved orange zest. Garnish with dill and serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson