Makes 15 servings
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 tbs. minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbs. minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 5 cups vegetable stock, heated
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- Heat a medium saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Add the barley and toast.
- Stir the barley for about two minutes; you will notice a nutty aroma.
- Place the barley and wild rice in a mixing bowl and stir.
- In the saucepot, add the olive to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook until the onions have just softened, about two minutes.
- Add the parsley, thyme, cherries, barely and wild rice. Stir in the hot vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, until the stock is absorbed and rice is al dente. Stir in walnuts.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Per serving (1/2 cup): Calories 150; Protein 4 g; Total Fat 1.5 g; Saturated Fat 0 g; C arbohydrates 24 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 190 mg