Makes 6 cups
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 6 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup hot turkey stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté mushrooms in melted butter in a sauté pan until lightly browned.
- Add apples, onions and celery and sauté until tender.
- Mix wild rice, sage, walnuts and cranberries in a bowl, and stir in turkey stock to moisten. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you are planning to stuff the turkey cavity (the traditional approach), cool the stuffing first.
- To bake the stuffing separately, lightly oil a baking dish and fill with stuffing. Lightly cover the stuffing with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes; remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until stuffing is slightly browned and heated through.