Makes: four to six servings
Hands-on preparation time: 15 minutes
Total preparation time: 90 minutes
- 1 cup yellow split peas, rinsed well
- 7 cups water
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbs. ghee (or butter)
- 1 tbs. ground coriander
- 11/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 to 3 jalapeños, minced
- 4 medium, ripe tomatoes, chopped, about 3 cups (or canned)
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbs. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the split peas, water, turmeric, cinnamon stick, and 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to an hour until the peas are tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and stir the dal to make it smooth and creamy.
- When the dal is finished cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat, and dry-roast the coriander, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, and black pepper for one to two minutes, shaking the pan to toast the spices evenly until they are highly fragrant.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee to combine with the spices, then add the jalapeños and tomatoes and sauté over medium heat.
- Add a little salt, and simmer until the tomatoes are softened and the liquid has been reduced.
- Add the cooked vegetables and spices to the dal, and adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Top with cilantro to serve.