Makes six to eight servings
Time: 30 minutes
- Dice onions and sauté in oil in a soup pot. Once the onion is translucent, add 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Add diced potatoes and carrots (and any other ingredients you like). Cook until soft.
- Mince garlic and sauté it in butter in a separate skillet.
- Add kishk, and sauté a minute or so. Then take about 1 cup of liquid from the soup pot and add it to the kishk and garlic. Stir until well blended, then add the liquefied kishk-garlic mixture to the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook five to 10 minutes, then serve, garnished with parsley.
Recipe excerpted from Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods by Sandor Ellix Katz (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2003).